Legal

Wed, 12 Sep, 2018Basmah Qazi

Police uncover new breakthrough in the search for William Tyrrell

Police uncover new breakthrough in the search for William Tyrrell

Investigators say a burnt-out car found deep in the bush near where William Tyrrell went missing could be a breakthrough in the case of the missing NSW boy.

The wreck was discovered near the bushland surrounding Kendall on the NSW mid-coast, which is a short drive from where William was staying at the time of his disappearance on September 12, 2014.

Authorities believe the vehicle belongs to the convicted paedophile, Tony Jones who has been a previous suspect throughout the investigation according to Nine’s A Current Affair.

He was released from prison in January after serving a sentence for child molesting.

Aged in his 60s, Mr Jones found himself in a heated conflict with the ACA earlier in the year. He has previously denied any involvement over the three-year-old’s alleged kidnapping and has not been charged for it.

Police discovered the car after they received a tip-off, but once they arrived on the scene, they found that the vehicle was flipped upside down and set alight.

The abandoned vehicle resembled the same make and model Mr Jones used to drive, according to the person who discovered it.

Katrina, who is a relative of Mr Jones was staying with him at the time of Williams disappearance and she told ACA that she would “not be surprised” if he was the owner of the car.

During an interview conducted by the ACA, Mr Jones put forward several conflicting alibis, saying he was helping with his neighbours hot watering system when William disappeared, but the neighbour later denied this claim.

Katrina then went on to say that Mr Jones was in the bush collecting scrap metal at the time, while Mr Jones claims that he was out using a chainsaw he had borrowed from the local council.

In 2015, Mr Jones was charged with aggravated indecent assault of an 11-year-old. He was sentenced to a maximum three years in prison, but according to news.com.au, he was back living in the community in January this year.

His criminal history included escaping from police custody, assaulting women and children, theft and drug possession.

The breakthrough in the investigation comes just a day after the fourth anniversary of William’s disappearance – a mystery that has baffled the nation.

Four years later, NSW Police are yet to find answers and announced on Wednesday that they will pass over the investigation to Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame.

Due to the coroner’s legal powers, witnesses could be forced to explain their whereabouts and what they know about the young boy’s disappearance – unlike conventional police interviews.

NSW Police said in a statement that investigators “would like to acknowledge the continued strength and courage of William Tyrrell’s families.”

“Over the past year, investigators have continued to explore lines of inquiry in an effort to find out what happened to William, including a large-scale forensic search,” the statement read.

William, who was wearing a Spider-man costume at the time of his disappearance, would have turned seven years old in June.

Comments