Over60

Caring

Social media star warns against "life hacks" after burns

Social media star warns against "life hacks" after burns

A social media star has warned others against trying online "hacks" as she suffered from third-degree burns on her body.

British dancer Abbie Quinnen recreated a popular trick from YouTube with her boyfriend AJ Pritchard, but was engulfed in flames when a flaming wine bottle exploded and lit her face, hair, arms and chest on fire.

Quinnen has gone through weeks of intensive care and up to 20 hospital visits, but has thanked her fans for support.

"I'm so overwhelmed with all your love and support. Thank you all so very much! It means a lot," she wrote.

She explained the incident and warned fans against trying the hacks.

"Unfortunately I have had an accident. Whilst we were attempting to create a glass bottle into a vase from following a YouTube tutorial, it went terribly wrong," she explained.

"It resulted in me incurring injuries & burns requiring continuous hospital treatment over the past seven weeks."

"I also want to say a massive thank you to the nurses and doctors at the Chelsea & Westminster burns unit for their incredible care and treatment," she added.

The hack the pair were trying was turning a glass wine bottle into a vase after following a tutorial on YouTube.

The glass bottle was cut in half by dipping a length of rope in flammable liquid and lighting a flame to it, but the technique backfired when the bottle exploded.