Food & Wine
Sweet potato, corn and bean salad
This wholesome salad can be eaten as a side or served on its own.
Serves 4-6 as side salad
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1kg sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs fajita spice
- 3 fresh corn cobs
- 425g can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbs finely chopped pickled jalapeño
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven 220°C fan forced. Cut the sweet potatoes in half crossway then into wedges lengthways. Place onto a large, greased baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle over the fajita. Turn to coat. Roast 20 minutes, turning once until golden and tender.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Season then whisk until well combined. Remove 1 tablespoon to a jug.
- While sweet potato is roasting, cook corn on a greased barbecue grill plate, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until lightly charred. Remove to a board, cut kernels from cobs. Add corn, black beans, tomato, avocado and onion to the dressing. Stir to combine.
- Spoon corn mixture over the roasted sweet potato. Pour over the reserved dressing. Toss gently to combine. Scatter with coriander. Serve.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.