Money & Banking
Gina Rinehart hits back at Celeste Barber’s criticism over bushfires
Australia’s richest woman Gina Rinehart has slammed comedian Celeste Barber who has raised $47 million in less than a week for the bushfire appeal, saying she’s more concerned about the “true cause” of the fires.
Earlier in the week, Barber criticised billionaires, as she asked why they aren’t donating to help the Australian bushfire crisis.
She directly tweeted at Rinehart, who has a net worth of close to $14 billion, writing: “If you’re in Hawaii on a family holiday I’m going to flip a f***ing table”.
But a spokesman for the billionaire has issued a statement saying the wealthy mining magnate prefers to donate privately.
The statement says the billionaire does not want to “rush” to blame climate change for the devastation.
“(Mrs Rinehart) is most concerned that the true causes of this sad devastation are tackled, rather than missed in the rush to blame climate change,” the spokesman said in a statement revealed by the Daily Mail.
“In particular, restrictions on building dams are lifted, the dangerous restrictions on allowing adequate fire breaks and restrictions on land clearing, which regulations have helped to cause life and stock losses, property damage, and damage to livelihoods and much suffering.”
Rinehart has apparently contributed to a collection for firefighting at an event which took place at her home, where 150 guests were present on Tuesday night.
Barber on the other hand, has raised over $47 million in less than a week through her fundraising campaign.
But the comedian raised the question as to whether billionaires around the world were doing their part.
“Remember when Notre Dame burnt down – very sad, don’t get me wrong, RIP Notre Dame, historic building,” she said on Instagram earlier in the week.
“And something like billions of dollars were raised, by I think like a handful of people. Where are those people now?
“Because I tell you what, every day people are donating $10 here, $10 there, that’s what’s getting us to now $40 million.”
She also said the money, which was originally intended for the NSW RFS, would be distributed to various different organisations and families of those killed in the fires.
OverSixty, its parent company and its owners are donating a total of $200,000 to the Vinnie’s Bushfire Appeal. We have also pledged an additional $100,000 of product to help all those affected by the bushfire crisis. We would love you to support too! Head to the Vinnie's website to donate.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.