Food & Wine
Baked breakfast mushrooms stuffed with spinach, feta and egg
Prep / cook time: 25 minutes
Serve: 2 mushrooms per person
- 4 large flat mushrooms (large Portobello mushrooms also work well)
- 1 big handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp marinated creamy feta cheese
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped, to serve
- Pre heat the oven to 180°
- To clean the mushrooms, brush the skin with a dry paper towel to remove any dirt.
- Using a small paring knife, remove the stems.
- Fill the base of the mushrooms with the baby spinach leaves, ripping larger leaves into smaller pieces.
- Carefully crack an egg into each mushroom on top of the spinach.
- Add a spoonful of marinated feta cheese as well as a drizzle of the feta marinating oil on top of the cracked egg.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and sprinkle a few leaves of the fresh thyme on top.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the mushroom has softened and the egg is still soft inside.
- Serve straight away topped with parsley.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.