Food & Wine
Butter chicken and sweet potato
Looking for something wholesome and fulfilling for dinner? Try out this comforting butter chicken and sweet potato dish as a winter’s warmer.
Prep time: 15 mins + 1-hour marinating (optional)
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 2 tbs tandoori curry paste
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- 700g small chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 1 tbs ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 800g sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthways, cut into 3cm pieces
- 420g jar butter chicken sauce
- 400g can finely chopped tomatoes
- 150ml thickened cream
- Warm naan, to serve
- cucumber raita & coriander sprigs (optional), to serve
- Combine curry paste and yoghurt in a bowl. Cut chicken in half crossways (if chicken is large cut into thirds). Stir into tandoori mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour only if you have time.
- Preheat oven 230°C fan forced. Remove chicken from marinade. Place on a greased tray. Roast 10 minutes in hot oven.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee or oil in a deep-frying pan or wok. Add onion and chilli. Cook stirring 4 minutes until soft. Add sweet potato, cook 5 minutes. Add butter chicken sauce and tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until sweet potato just tender. Stir in cream. Add the chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes until chicken cooked through.
- Serve with warm naan, raita and coriander.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.