Food & Wine
Caramelised onion, bean and corn tacos
Make snack time more special with these tasty tacos.
- 4 brown onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 40g sachet fajita seasoning
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2x400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 375g jar mild thick and chunky salsa
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
- smashed avocado, lime wedges, sour cream and coriander leaves, to serve
- ½ small red onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, deseeded, finely chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan forced. Lightly grease two large oven trays.
- Place onions in a shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on High or 100 per cent power for 4 minutes until soft.
- Heat half the oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until caramelized. Add seasoning. Cook, stirring for a further 1 minute.
- Divide onions evenly over half of each tortilla. Top with beans and corn. Spoon over salsa and sprinkle with cheese. Fold over to enclose.
- Place tortillas onto trays. Spray both sides lightly with cooking oil. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden around the edges.
- Meanwhile, make salsa. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve tacos with salsa, avocado, lime wedges, sour cream and coriander leaves.
- Serve tacos with chipotle mayonnaise instead of sour cream. For a spicy kick, add drained pickled jalapenos to the salsa.
- For a non-vegetarian option, replace 1 can of black beans with 300g chopped cooked chicken.
- To serve at a later time, make to the end of step 3 and place on a tray in the fridge. Kids can cook them between baking paper in a sandwich press.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.