Food & Wine
Mango and berry fruit salad with rosé syrup
Take the heat off the day with this sweet and refreshing fruit salad.
Prep time: 20 mins + 3 hours chilling
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 4 Calypso® mangoes, chilled
- 2 x 125g Perfection Raspberries
- 2 x 125g Perfection Blueberries
- 250g strawberries, hulled, halved
- 175g mulberries, blackberries or boysenberries
- 1 pomegranate, halved, arils removed (see tips)
- Vanilla ice cream and little meringues or shortbread, to serve
- 500ml rosé
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- To make the syrup, combine the rosé and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the syrup reduces an thickens slightly. Pour into a heatproof jug and add the sprigs of mint. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Cut the cheeks from the mango. Using a large spoon, carefully scoop the flesh out in 1 piece. Slice the mango crossways and arrange over a large serving platter. Scatter over the berries and pomegranate arils.
- Pour the chilled syrup over fruit. Serve with ice cream and meringues or shortbread.
- To remove the arils from pomegranate, roll the pomegranate on the bench to loosen the seeds. Score around the middle and tear open into halves. Hold each pomegranate half over a bowl, seeds facing down and tap the skin with a wooden spoon, squeezing a little to release the seeds and juice. Remove any white pith.
- For an alcohol-free syrup replace the rosé with cranberry, pomegranate or apple juice.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.