Food & Wine
Sweet potato crusted shepherd’s pie
Take out your casserole and try this recipe for the weekend.
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 150g butter
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup red wine, optional
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin tomato
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Green leaf salad, to serve
- Steam or boil the sweet potato until cooked and soft then drain, mash and mix with the butter, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over a high heat, add the olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and lamb.
- Season with a little salt and cook over a medium to high heat to colour the lamb and cook the vegetables, stirring to break up with a spoon as it is cooking. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook for another minute then add the Worcestershire sauce, red wine, chicken stock and tinned tomato and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for approx. 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Adjust the seasoning of the lamb ragu then spoon the lamb mix into a baking dish, stir through the peas and top evenly with the mash sweet potato. Cover with the cheddar then bake for 15 -20 minutes before serving with a green salad if preferred.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.