Food & Wine
The world's best restaurants for 2022 have been revealed
The cosmopolitan city of Copenhagen has had another incredible culinary year after a restaurant in the Danish capital was crowned best on the planet for the second year in a row.
Geranium, which serves a meat-free, seasonally based Scandi menu, located in the unique location of the eighth floor of Denmark's national soccer stadium.
It's open four days a week, a choice made by head chef Rasmus Kofoed and co-owner Søren Ledet in order to keep to an ethos of work-life balance.
The two friends hugged joyfully as they celebrated winning their award at a lavish ceremony held in London's Old Billingsgate, a Victorian building that was once the world's largest fish market.
Hollywood actor and CNN presenter Stanley Tucci hosted the ceremony, in a white tuxedo jacket on one of the UK's hottest days on record.
Restaurants are only permitted to scoop the awards' top prize once, after which they're entered into a separate "Best of the Best" program.
Members of that elite group include Geranium's Copenhagen neighbor Noma, as well as New York's Eleven Madison Park, The Fat Duck near London, Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy, and Mirazur in Menton, France.
South American restaurants fared well. In Lima, chefs Virgilio Martínez and Pía León's Central climbed two places to the second spot, while Maido, which serves Japanese-Peruvian fusion, slipped down to No. 11.
Brazil's A Caso do Porco – a celebration of all things porcine has climbed 10 places to No. 7.
Spain's presence on the list this year was solid with Barcelona's Disfrutar at No. 3, while Madrid's Diverxo shot up to 4th place. Larrabetzu's Asador Etxebarri – where all dishes, even dessert, are flame-grilled has slipped down to No. 6.
Mexico City was represented by fifth place winner Pujol this year's Best Restaurant in North America and Quintonil, which climbed all the way from last year's No. 27 has landed in a No. 9 spot. Italy's Lido 84 and Le Calandre also moved up the rankings this year. Uliassi, in Italy's Senigallia region, was at No. 12, this year's Highest New Entry.
It's not until No.20 that an Asia-based restaurant makes an appearance, with Den in Tokyo earning the highest place on this year's list.
In the 20 years the awards have been running, no restaurant outside Europe or North America has ever won the World's 50 Best prize. All winners so far have come from Spain, the United States, the UK, Denmark, Italy and France.
Here are the world’s best restaurants:
1. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
2. Central (Lima, Peru) *Best Restaurant in South America*
3. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
4. Diverxo (Madrid, Spain)
5. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico) *Best Restaurant in North America*
6. Asador Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)
7. A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
8. Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
9. Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
10. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
11. Maido (Lima, Peru)
12. Uliassi (Senigallia, Italy)
13. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
14. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
15. Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy)
16. Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
17. Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
18. Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
19. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
20. Den (Tokyo, Japan) *Best Restaurant in Asia*
21. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
22. Septime (Paris, France)
23. The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
24. The Chairman (Hong Kong)
25. Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
26. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
27. Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
28. The Clarence (Paris, France)
29. St. Hubertus (San Cassiano, Italy)
30. Florilege (Tokyo, Japan)
31. Arpège (Paris, France)
32. Mayta (Lima, Peru)
33. Atomix (New York City)
34. Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
35. The Clove Club (London, UK)
36. Odette (Singapore)
37. Fyn (Cape Town, South Africa)
38. Jordnær (Copenhagen, Denmark)
39. Sorn (Bangkok, Thailand)
40. Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
41. La Cime (Osaka, Japan)
42. Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Spain)
43. Boragó (Santiago, Chile)
44. Le Bernardin (New York City)
45. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
46. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
47. Oteque (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
48. Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
49. Ikoyi (London, England)
50. SingleThread (Healdsburg, California)