Home & Garden
How to increase the curb appeal of your home in a weekend
Whether your goal is to add value to your home to sell, or you’re just looking to get your home entertainment-ready for summer, there are three DIY projects you can complete in a weekend that will greatly increase the curb appeal of your home.
1. Repaint concrete exteriors
Painting an unsightly or worn concrete pathway, landing or wall is one of the most dramatic (and easy) home improvements you can make. With a little prep and some specialty concrete paint you can avoid the pricey task of having to replace the concrete and have it looking like new again.
- PREPARATION IS KEY. Remove any lose concrete with a scraper, wire brush or sandpaper then scrub the surface clean with a strong detergent and stiff bristle broom and hose off with clean water. This will stop your paint from lifting and ensure long lasting results. Don’t skip this step!
- ROUGHT IT UP. In order for your surface to really grip the paint, you need to make sure the surface is rough (it should feel like 180 grit sandpaper). If the surface is smooth, prep with White Knight Ultra Pave Concrete Etcher. If your surface is already fairly rough you can skip this step.
- TIME TO PAINT. Using a roller and tray, first start on the large areas. Using White Knight Ultra Pave Quick Dry, start by painting the far corner and then work backwards so you don’t paint yourself into a corner. If you didn’t use a concrete etcher, I recommend thinning the first coat of paint with 20% water to help with adhesion. Your concrete area will be touch-dry in 30 minutes and ready to be recoated in two hours.
Painting your front door and even your shutters is another easy way to improve the exterior of your home and help to leave a lasting impression.
- KNOW YOUR ENVIRONMENT. Select a hardwearing concrete paint such as Ultra Pave which is designed to withstand Australia’s harsh climate.
- DARE TO BE DIFFERENT. Remember, paint isn’t permanent so have fun with it. Try a strong contrast colour for maximum visual impact. Think red against a white frame and brick wall, bright yellow against navy, or deep blue on white.
Last but certainly not least, a little bit of landscaping can do wonders to improve the curb appeal of your home.
- ADD SOME COLOUR A vibrant flower bed can lift the feel of any home.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.