Over60

Retirement Life

“Complete bulls***”: Tony Abbott shuts down political rumours

“Complete bulls***”: Tony Abbott shuts down political rumours

Former prime minister Tony Abbott has fiercely knocked down a rumour that he might go forward to run for the federal seat of Eden-Monarco.

The former politician has labelled the rumour “complete bulls***”.

The New South Wales seat will be vacated by Labor MP Mike Kelly for health reasons.

The NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro and Transport Minister Andrew Constance were both looking to launch campaigns for the seat before both suddenly pulling out this week.

On Wednesday afternoon, Channel 9 reported Liberal Party Vice President Teena McQueen had been “quietly” checking if Tony Abbott was willing to have a crack at the seat.

Mr Abbott left politics after the last federal election when he lost his old seat of Warringah to independent candidate Zali Steggall.

He told the former 2GB broadcaster Jason Morrison it was “badly informed mischief making”.

His office told radio host Ben Fordham the rumour was “complete bulls***” and “utterly without foundation”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison was asked during a Facebook live interview on Wednesday night if he thought Mr Abbott would be interested in returning to Parliament to which he responded: “I don’t believe he would.”