Over60

Real Estate

Young family shocked over $700k home build disaster

Young family shocked over $700k home build disaster

A Sydney family has been left devastated after they discovered that their $700,000 home was literally half of what they were hoping for.

Nepalese man Bishnu Aryal moved to Australia and saved for a deposit on a $398,950 block of land in Edmonson Park, for over a decade.

However, Mr Aryal couldn’t believe his eyes when he realised his dream home was cut down the middle.

He says he employed the services of Zac Homes for a custom off-plan build worth $322,400 in 2016.

While he initially “trusted the process,” and let the business get to work on his dream home, he admitted he “nearly fainted” when he realised his freestanding build had been turned into a duplex taking up half the block.

The house that sits on the right hand side of the block has a giant windowless wall facing the empty half.

“I called the supervisor and asked him what’s going on, why is the house like this? And he said “it’s a duplex, semi-duplex”, and I nearly fainted that day,’ Mr Aryal told A Current Affair on Monday.

“Where’s my house? I want the rest of my house. It’s not a freestanding house, it’s not a duplex, it’s half a house. And it looks embarrassing.”

Zac Homes said the build initially began as a single freestanding home.

However they said it later had to be altered to fit with Liverpool Council regulations.

The rules allegedly stated that the block had to be an attached dwelling.

“Zac Homes appreciates the frustrations of Mr and Mrs Aryal surrounding the delay in the issue of the Occupation Certificate, these delays are not caused by Zac Homes,” a spokesman told the Daily Mail.

“Instead, Zac Homes has worked diligently and at its own cost to attempt to remedy the outstanding matters so that the Occupation Certificate can issue,” it said.

Zac Homes says they made Mr and Mrs Aryal aware of the change of plan and were given opportunities to pull out of the contract more than once.

Mr Aryal told Channel 9 his family was forced to move into the house due to the coronavirus pandemic limiting their options. 

Sadly enough, the peculiar home has been attracting locals, the upset homeowner said.

“A lot of people are always taking photos on the street. They think it looks pretty ugly,” he said.

Our Partners